Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nov 11...

I received an email this morning from a friend/crafty customer who I'll be seeing later today. She was just giving me a head's up that she's 11 weeks pg, due in early June. I replied, thanking her for the notice, and to congratulate her & wish her a healthy pregnancy. Her DD is 3.5 years old, and has undergone 3 open-heart surgeries in her short life.  The last thing this family needs is ill wishes, y'know? And that email got me feeling a bit down for us - "oh boo hoo, we still don't have kids. These folks have fought a totally different battle, but they're still going on for baby #2, yadda yadda..."

Today is Remembrance Day - a day to reflect & remember those who have fought for our freedom, and in too many cases, lost their lives. There was an story featuring the widow of Master Cpl Scott Vernelli. When Master Cpl Vernelli was killed on Mar 20/09, he left behind his wife & then 6-m.o. daughter. The couple was blessed with a baby, but now his widow has to bring up their child without her partner at her side. She is teaching their daughter about her dad, but I just had tears in my eyes through the whole story.

Their story really made me think... sure, infertility blows, but really, life blows all sorts of ways. Infertility is our challenge or struggle, but everyone has their own (or two or three). If J & I are ever blessed with a child, I can be (fairly) confident that J will be with me to raise him/her in the years to come. Master Cpl Vernelli's wife's challenge is now to raise their daughter without her husband at her side. So really, if I had to pick, I'd rather work a bit harder to have a child than to have to raise him/her without my husband at my side. To that, I have to thank Master Cpl Vernelli and all those who have lost their lives trying to make this world a better place for us - and our children. This family will be on my mind for a long time....

No comments:

Post a Comment